Geofoam is a sustainable and efficient material gaining popularity in the construction industry.
From technology to material innovations, the construction industry is constantly changing and improving. Although it’s been around for decades, there is a construction material that has recently gained popularity due to its sustainability and efficiency. In fact, this material’s rising demand is expected to surpass $1B in the next five years. What is this “modern” construction marvel? Geofoam.
What is Geofoam?
Geofoam is lightweight blocks manufactured from expanded polystyrene (EPS) or extruded polystyrene (XPS). This geosynthetic construction material is most commonly used as a structural backfill for construction projects. While EPS and XPS geofoams are both used in the industry, EPS is currently more prevalent.
What are the Benefits of Geofoam?
Geofoam is a multi-functional construction material that has many benefits, including:
- Sustainable: It is made from recyclable material. It is a dependable thermal barrier that is more energy-efficient than other common insulators.
- Cost-Effective: Compared to other traditional construction materials, it is more cost-effective, as it can save on energy, transportation, and labor costs.
- Lightweight but Strong: It is up to 50 times lighter than other similar materials but is able to withstand pressure (its compressive strength measures near 60 psi).
- Predictable and Consistent: Unlike construction materials used for similar purposes, it is durable, lasts long, is water, insect, and mold-resistant, does not settle, and is easy to install.
- Versatile Applications: From stadium seating to road construction, it is a suitable material for a plethora of construction projects (see more below).
What Type of Construction Projects Benefit from Geofoam?
It has many applications including, but not limited to:
- Retaining Walls
- Stadium Seating
- Foundation Fill
- Building Fill
- Parking Lots
- Utility Protection
Hiring a Professional
Holman, Inc. offers geofoam and structural foam services in Jacksonville for use in stadiums, theatres, auditoriums, and more. Our team has national-level install experience and offers quick and efficient installation. Check out some of our expert geofoam installations here, and contact us today to see how we can help you on your next project.